Re: Need some help with "TRtools"

Re: Need some help with "TRtools"

Replies | Reply | Tomb Raider Level Editor & Utility Discussion Forum

Posted by Tomb Biker on August 15, 2000 at 10:53:16:

In reply to: Need some help with "TRtools" posted by French old TR fan on August 15, 2000 at 08:12:18:

: Hi
Yeah hi to you,

:
: I try to build my own TR level and I have a lot of problems with the "TRtools"
:
: First : I've got the new versions of RVIEW, TREDITOR, FEXITEM, etc (downloaded 08/12/00)
:
: MY problems are :
:
:
: With TReditor :
:
: How to define properly portals between rooms ? especially when you want to design a pool ?
: It's a great mystery to me.
: I've downloaded the 'Wade' package. When I rebuilt the level (based on TR3's House) everything is OK.
: When I play the level, the water surface is CLEAR.

: After that I try to design (with TRE) a small level with the same 2 rooms. (Everything seems to be ok in the room editor) . I built the level and SHIIIIT when I play, the pool is a pool (well) BUT the water surface is not clear. In fact it has the same texture as the floor of the first room.

: So what's wrong ?
:
When looking up your room w/ RView you can see the difference to the Kevin´s Wade level. You´ve generated meshes in the portal area. There are several possibilities to delete them.
- Use RVIew and select the room w/ the portal facing the pool. Then, turn on 'solid' option in the control panel. Next, press left Shift and Control and click the mesh you want to delete. Another possibility is to set the meshe´s texture to a transparent one. In RView´s VTexture these are displayed with the magenta color.

-Use Rhino doing the same. U have to use the 'Explode Polygon Mesh' feature first. (probs importing dxf? see below)

: With FEXITEM :
:
: This tool generates itm files that TRE can't read (I get an "Read beyond end of file" error).
: (the fenician.itm included in the update3 package is in this case)
:
Maybe you use an old FexItem version? Can´t tell from here, please post the file´s date.

: With RVIEW :
:
: I can export in dxf format that I read with RHINO3D 1.1 but I simply can not import dxf format .
: A simple test is to export a one room level as DXF and try to reimport it immediately : it does not work at all.
:
: (the 2 dxf files included in the wade package are in this case)
:
This depends on the value that your system uses for floating point values. RView by default uses the point, in your country (France) it might be the same as in Germany. Go to the system control, choose country setings and click on the numbers table (don´t know the names in French, nor if my english translation is correct). The first entry you can find here is set to comma (this one -> ,). Change it to point (simply by selecting the entry and press '.'). Be careful w/ that. Since you use other progs that use this value extensively (Excel does) they will produce errors as long as you don´t change the value back to comma.
Another workaround is; export the DXF from RView, load it into a simple text editor like notepad and find and replace all '.' to ','. Now the thing should be able to be loaded in Rhino. After your remodelling work is done, load the file into the editor again and change the ',' back to '.'
This is complicated, I know. But Turbo prommised an easier handling in the next big update, so stay tuned.

Have phun

TB

: Thank you in advance for your help

Replies:

Name:

Email:

Subject:

Optional
Link URL:

Link Title:

Image URL:

Replies | Reply | Tomb Raider Level Editor & Utility Discussion Forum