RE: Porting TR1 to TR2/3

RE: Porting TR1 to TR2/3

Replies | Reply | Tomb Raider Level Editor & Utility Discussion Forum

Posted by E.Popov on May 04, 2000 at 10:31:19:

In reply to: Re: Porting TR1 to TR2/3 posted by Turbo Pascal on May 03, 2000 at 13:47:54:

> I think it is not just "cut and paste" chunk binary data from one file to
> another, that is the ease part, but you will need also to UPDATE ALL
> REFERENCES;

Yes, but that's a matter of being careful: there's not really some hard coding here (I think - I didn't look at animations yet). However, regrouping fragment textures in order to build a rectangular map for a given object would be more difficult, IMHO (see my answer to the thread "NEED INFO: TEXTUREASSIGN PROGRAMMATION ").
I think I'm going to make things in the direction you give, that is an object library.

As for porting TR1 to TR2/3, I think that's not really possible entirely because of some peculiarity of some level. For eg, in Midas level, you must put something in the Midas hand to change it to gold: I think this effect is hard coded in TR1 engine, so that even with the right data (floor data and so on), the TR2/3 engine could not handle this. Though, in levels with no such sort of things, it could be possible to play them with TR2 or 3 (and I would love it: that's a long time I didn't play TR1 because it's running in such a bad resolution).

E.Popov

Replies:

Name:

Email:

Subject:

Optional
Link URL:

Link Title:

Image URL:

Replies | Reply | Tomb Raider Level Editor & Utility Discussion Forum